Premier League round-up: Late win for Liverpool; Spurs rooted at the bottom

Table of Contents
Man City
Manchester City logo
2 - 3
Liverpool logo
Stephen Ireland 19
Fernando Torres 55
Javier Garrido 41
Fernando Torres 73

Dirk Kuyt 90

Dirk Kuyt struck in the final minute to end his Premier League goal drought as Liverpool battled back from two goals down to beat Manchester City 3-2 at the City of Manchester Stadium.

City opened the scoring after 19 minutes when Stephen Ireland whacked a volley into the roof of the net past Pepe Reina after a weak clearance by Álvaro Arbeloa.

The home side doubled the lead just four minutes from the break, Shaun Wright-Phillips won a free-kick five yards outside the area and full-back Javier Garrido stepped up to curl a superb left-footed effort into the top corner.

Rafa Benitez’s men were two goals down at half-time but we know what Benitez can do in his half-time team talks - remember their most famous victory in Istanbul in 2005 when they were three goals down to AC Milan, only to win the Champions League final on penalties.

And finally Liverpool pulled a goal back on 55 minutes as Fernando Torres bundled the ball home from close range to claim the club's 1,000th Premier League goal.

Robinho should have restored City's two-goal lead but he missed a golden opportunity on 64 minutes as the Brazilian somehow sent the ball over the crossbar from just two yards.

Now it all went wrong for the hosts. Three minutes later, Pablo Zabaleta was shown a straight red card for a lunging tackle on Xabi Alonso.

With one man advantage, the visitors equalised six minutes later when Torres lost his marker to head home a Steven Gerrard corner.

The Reds grabbed the winner in stoppage time after Kuyt firing home from close range to score his first league goal since last November.

Tottenham Hotspur logo
0 - 1
Hull City logo

Geovanni 9

Brazilian winger Geovanni was the hero for the second week running as new boys Hull City completed a second successive win over North London opposition by beating Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

Hull got off to a dream start after Vedran Ćorluka went straight into the back of Marlon King to concede a free-kick.

Geovanni stepped up and rifled a superb free-kick from 30 yards into the top corner past a helpless Heurelho Gomes.

Spurs' best chance fell to Jonathan Woodgate, but his volley was deflected onto the post and away.

The home side threw everything at Hull in a bid to get back in the game, however, just as at Arsenal last week, the Tigers defended heroically and repelled everything thrown at them.

The result leaves Juande Ramos' side remain rooted to the bottom of the table, while Phil Brown's Hull now sit third in their debut Premier League campaign.

Please subscribe to our RSS feed to receive more updates. You can also subscribe by Email and enjoy our latest posts sent directly to your inbox.

Also see:

Post a Comment