The 26-year-old Chilean was part of the team that went down 4-2 at the Etihad, but that wasn't the full story for Medel.
He missed the team bus home and relied on the train to get back to Wales, much to the delight of his fellow passengers.
Medel purchased economy tickets and was happy to pose and sign autographs for those in the carriage.
So yeah Gary Medel just got on the train. Travelling with the lads like. pic.twitter.com/bpeqV1MCSQ— Ryan March (@_ryanmarch) January 18, 2014
My boy Morgan and Gary medel on the train home from man city x pic.twitter.com/1xxgOZUADk— cassie macgregor (@macgregor_0) January 18, 2014
Medel on train home with us! pic.twitter.com/NxS1orguWO— Lloyd Smith (@LASmith23) January 18, 2014
My mate Twisty on train back from Man City - with Gary Medel!! Bus left without him?!! pic.twitter.com/31xMZY5qF0— robert emanuel (@emanuelrob) January 18, 2014
- He's Special! José Mourinho welcomes back cancer survivor journalist
- Ashley Young helps terminally ill fan fulfill dream of going to Old Trafford one last time
- Cristiano Ronaldo gives VIP treatment to cancer-stricken fan
- Bournemouth fans raise money for Burton Albion bus fund
- Swindon players to compensate travelling fans after FA Cup horror show