Lincoln City's game postponed due to exploding sauna at hotel | inside World Soccer

An explosion in the sauna at the Hilton Hotel in Southampton forced the cancellation of Lincoln City's match at Eastleigh because away team players could not collect their equipments from the building.

More than 40 guests and staff were evacuated from the Hilton after a fire and explosion in its leisure club at about 11:16 a.m. It is thought that the fire was caused by an explosion in the hotel sauna.

Most of Lincoln's kit was already at Eastleigh's ground but the fire meant club officials could not recover items like boots, shinpads, goalkeeping gear, and physiotherapists' medical equipment from the hotel.

The match between the Conference teams was initially delayed for an hour but later cancelled.

Lincoln were updating the situation on their Twitter account.

Lincoln City's game postponed due to exploding sauna at hotel
Photo: @LincolnCity

"It was all out of our control. We were just about to sit down for the pre-match meal and chat and the alarms went off," Lincoln City general manager John Vickers told BBC Radio Lincolnshire.

"It's very frustrating for all parties, not least the fans who have made the long trek down. But safety comes first and you've got to listen to the advice being given to you by the fire brigade.

"The kit was already at the ground but it was items like boots, shinpads, keeper's gear, medical equipment for the physios that were inside.

"It's not just a case of popping down to the nearest sports shop and buying a pair of boots. We're a professional football club and we've got to prepare professionally."

No new date has yet been set for the game to be played.


Don't forget to join us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates!