Carling Cup: Burnley dump out Chelsea | inside World Soccer

Carling Cup: Burnley dump out Chelsea

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chelsea was knocked out of the Carling Cup on penalty shoot-out by Burnley, while holders Tottenham advanced to the next round with a 4-2 victory over Liverpool.

The Championship side stunned Chelsea with a penalty shoot-out success after a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Didier Drogba put the Blues in front in the 27th minute when he curled a fine shot beyond Burnley keeper Brian Jensen to score his first goal of the season.

Branislav Ivanović almost increased the lead before the break, but his near-post header came back off the bar.

Luiz Felipe Scolari had only just replaced Drogba with 19-year-old Frano Di Santo when substitute Ade Akinbiyi pounced on the equaliser after Carlo Cudicini had parried a shot from Chris Eagles.

Unfortunately, Di Santo suffered a hamstring injury three minutes into extra time, forcing Chelsea to play with 10 men because Scolari had used all of his substitutes.

However, the numbers were evened four minutes before the shootout when Burnley captain Stephen Caldwell was sent off for a second yellow card.

The Clarets triumphed 5-4 on penalties with goalkeeper Brian Jensen saving from Wayne Bridge and John Obi Mikel.

Roman Pavlyuchenko and Fraizer Campbell both scored twice as Tottenham cruised to a 4-2 win over Liverpool.

Harry Redknapp admitted his side's 2-1 Premier League victory over the Reds less than a fortnight ago had been lucky, but there was nothing fortunate about this.

Spurs' opener after 38 minutes signalled a dominant spell from the hosts as the unmarked Pavlyuchenko swept home after Campbell cut the ball back.

Within four minutes, Campbell scored the first goal for Spurs when he slotted into an empty net after confusion in Liverpool's defense.

And Campbell added another on the stroke of halftime with a diving header from Aaron Lennon's cross.

Damien Plessis gave Liverpool a lifeline four minutes into the second half after heading in a Ryan Babel corner.

But Spurs restored their three-goal advantage just three minutes later when Pavlyuchenko tapped home the rebound from Didier Zokora's deflected shot.

Spurs goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, who had been culpable for the visitor's first goal, gave them another route back into the match in the 63rd minute as he flapped at another Babel's corner to allow Sami Hyypiä to head into the net.

At the Stadium of Light, Blackburn, which beat Spurs in the 2002 final, advanced from the fourth round with a 2-1 victory at Sunderland.

Did you like our post? If so, please subscribe to our RSS feed to receive more updates. You can also subscribe by Email and enjoy our latest posts sent directly to your inbox. Thank you for reading!

Also see:

Technorati tags:

Copyright © 2016. inside World Soccer | Privacy Policy
Design by Herdiansyah Hamzah & Distributed by Free Blogger Templates
Creative Commons License